Search by Character-string recognizes any precise string of characters, numerals, spaces, and punctuation marks. Phrases can be searched, but avoid quotation marks, apostrophes, and diacritical marks as they may vary from parallel coding in the database.
- court retrieves records that include court, courts, courtesie, courtliness, etc.
- cour retrieves all those records, plus those that include courage, Cour de Lionn, course, discourse, recourse, etc.
- court followed by a space will retrieve only those records that include the word court.
- courtly love will retrieve records that include the phrase.
- Studies in the Age of Chaucer 26 retrieves all records in volume 26 of SAC.
- Studies Age retrieves no records because no record includes that sequence of characters.
Search by Specific Fields enables more refined searches, restricted by data-field (author/editor, title, alternative title, date, etc.) and delimiters (contains, does not contain, starts with, etc.), both available in drop-down menus. Specific Field searches can be combined using And / Or options and they can be used alone or in combination with Character-string searches.
- Use AND function to combine Author / Editor search with Contributor search in order to find illustrators, composers, performers, etc.
- Use OR function to combine a Description search of “juvenile” with a Description search of "adolescent” in order to retrieve records pertinent to young adult materials.
- Use Chaucer Subject search to find studies that pertain to individual works by Chaucer [e.g., Miller and His Tale; see list below].
Chaucer Subjects include the following:
- Bibliographies, Reports, and Reference
- Chaucer's Life
- Facsimiles, Editions, and Translations
- Manuscripts and Textual Studies
- Sources, Analogues, and Literary Relations
- Chaucer's Influence and Later Allusion
- Style and Versification
- Language and Word Studies
- Background and General Criticism
- Recordings and Films
- Chaucerian Apocrypha
- Canterbury Tales--General
- General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales
- Knight and His Tale
- Miller and His Tale
- [And other Pilgrims' Tales by Name]
- Tale of Sir Thopas
- Tale of Melibee
- Adam Scriveyn
- Against Woman Unconstant
- Anelida and Arcite
- Balade of Complaint
- Book of the Duchess
- Complaint of Chaucer to His Purse
- Complaint of Mars
- Complaint of Venus
- Complaint to His Lady
- Complaint unto Pity
- Complynt d'Amours
- Envoy to Bukton
- Envoy to Scogan
- Equatorie of the Planetis
- Former Age
- House of Fame
- Lak of Stedfastnesse
- Legend of Good Woman
- Merciles Beaute
- Parliament of Fowls
- Romaunt of the Rose
- To Rosemounde
- Treatise on the Astrolabe
- Troilus and Criseyde
- Womanly Noblesse