Search by Character-string recognizes any precise string of characters, numerals, spaces, and punctuation marks. Phrases can be searched as well.
- court retrieves records that include court, courts, courtesie, courtliness, etc.
- cour retrieves all those records, plus those that include courage, Cour de Lionn, course, discourse, recourse, etc.
- court followed by a space will retrieve only those records that include the word court.
- courtly love will retrieve records that include the phrase.
- Studies in the Age of Chaucer 26 retrieves all records in volume 26 of SAC.
- Studies Age retrieves no records because no record includes that sequence of characters.
Search by Specific Fields enables more refined searches, restricted by data-field (author/editor, title, alternative title, date, etc.) and delimiters (contains, does not contain, starts with, etc.), both available in drop-down menus. Specific Field searches can be combined using And / Or options and they can be used alone or in combination with Character-string searches.
- Use AND function to combine Author / Editor search with Contributor search in order to find illustrators, composers, performers, etc.
- Use OR function to combine a Description search of “juvenile” with a Description search of "adolescent” in order to retrieve records pertinent to young adult materials.
- Use Chaucer Subject search to find studies that pertain to individual works by Chaucer [e.g., Miller and His Tale; see list below].
Chaucer Subjects include the following:
- Bibliographies, Reports, and Reference
- Chaucer's Life
- Facsimiles, Editions, and Translations
- Manuscripts and Textual Studies
- Sources, Analogues, and Literary Relations
- Chaucer's Influence and Later Allusion
- Style and Versification
- Language and Word Studies
- Background and General Criticism
- Recordings and Films
- Chaucerian Apocrypha
- Canterbury Tales--General
- General Prologue to the Canterbury Tales
- Knight and His Tale
- Miller and His Tale
- [And other Pilgrims' Tales by Name]
- Tale of Sir Thopas
- Tale of Melibee
- Adam Scriveyn
- Against Woman Unconstant
- Anelida and Arcite
- Balade of Complaint
- Book of the Duchess
- Complaint of Chaucer to His Purse
- Complaint of Mars
- Complaint of Venus
- Complaint to His Lady
- Complaint unto Pity
- Complynt d'Amours
- Envoy to Bukton
- Envoy to Scogan
- Equatorie of the Planetis
- Former Age
- House of Fame
- Lak of Stedfastnesse
- Legend of Good Woman
- Merciles Beaute
- Parliament of Fowls
- Romaunt of the Rose
- To Rosemounde
- Treatise on the Astrolabe
- Troilus and Criseyde
- Womanly Noblesse